It’s October! It’s officially the month of Autumn (sadly, not in Singapore), Deepavali (on a Saturday?!), and Halloween (only at month-end!).
Everyone had fun last month with our challenge poses, especially with all the teaming up in Warrior partner poses. This month, we’ve included another partner pose for getting all snuggly with a chum.
Everybody gets extra points for doing challenge poses in scary costumes! OK, sexy also can la.
Figure 4 stretch
If you guys like to attend Shuyi’s lower body intense classes, you will agree that this stretch is super shiok post workout. Here’s her sitting back with fellow Nike Training Club trainer Limaran.
How to do a standing Figure 4 stretch
- Stand on your right foot and bring your left knee up towards chest. Externally rotate left knee and rest left ankle above right knee. Hinge at the hips, bend at the right knee and drive your hips back. Think of sitting back onto a chair.
- To attempt this with a friend, start of at the edge of the main pad. Hold on tight to each other’s forearm before sitting back and staring into each other’s eyes!
Yoga instructors love trying out yoga poses on the board. It’s like we always say – everything is harder on the board! But sometimes, some people come along and make it look so easy. Here are instructors Rach.Ling and Michelle from The Yoga Mandala in a dancing tandem.
How to do a dancer pose (Natarajasana)
- Begin with right foot in the centre of the board. Bend your left knee and bring your left heel towards your left buttock. Reach with your left hand down and clasp your left foot’s inner ankle.
- Reach your right arm overhead, pointing your fingertips towards the ceiling.
- Hinge forward and keep lifting your chest up as you press your left foot away from your body. Raise your left foot as high as you can.
- Give us a holler if you need yoga straps. We’ve got them in the studio.
Revolved Side Angle pose
Get twisty and turny! It’s fairly difficult to balance in this pose on solid ground, so get ready for some fun on our SURFSET boards!
How to do a revolved side angle pose
- Start in a plank position on the board and bring left foot forward into lunge. Ensure left knee is over left ankle and shin is perpendicular to the floor. Inhale and raise arms overhead.
- Bring palms together at your chest in prayer position. Exhale and rotate your torso to the left. Lean your torso toward your front thigh and bring your right elbow to the outside of your left thigh.
- Keep hips, spine and head in one straight line and turn your gaze to the ceiling. Lengthen your spine further on your inhalations and twist deeper on your exhalations.
That’s it, folks! See you in the studio!